Monday, October 5, 2009

Weird Art by MATT FOX, EMSH, DICK SHELTON and VIRGIL FINLAY




Art by the inimitable Matt Fox

Wow! Yesterday was the 21st Annual NYC Collectible Paperback and Pulp Fiction Expo, held by the wonderful folks over at Gryphon Books. The dealers and crowd of this show are top notch; everyone I met was so nice, and fascinating to talk to. It was an absolute blast and of course I picked up a huge stack of graphically stupefying oddities that I can't wait to scan and share with all of you. I got some wild Lovecraft paperbacks, a copy of "Seven Footprints to Satan" (finally), a bunch of vintage adult paperbacks (with REALLY great covers) and even some original ECs, including a Canadian "Haunt of Fear" which is MY FIRST ORIGINAL EC horror comic! (I have a nice smattering of original EC SF titles, but no horror) ... I also picked up the INCREDIBLE Emshmiller book from Non-Stop Press and got to meet what we consider a SAINT over here at Freedom School Records, author Luis Ortiz, who penned "Arts Unknown" which lovingly tells the story of our hero Lee Brown Coye, as well as reproduces an amazing array of Coye artwork. "Arts Unknown" is currently available from Non-Stop Press - ORDER ONE TODAY - you will not be disappointed.

So while I work on that I wanted to upload just a few random tidbits that probably wouldn't ever end up in their own post. I also felt like posting because so many of my favorite blogs (Potrzebie, The Horrors of it All, Atomic Caravan, Funny Cute, JohnKStuff) are always so hard at work posting crazy-cool stuff. Click to enlarge, and enjoy!



Great late period (1950's) Virgil Finlay. I love the detail in his full color paintings!



Superb 50's EMSH!



Art by Dick Shelton, whom I'd like to know more about.

1 comment: