Monday, December 1, 2008

the Weird Art of Lee Brown Coye - Part 3


A few of my friends have asked me to post more Lee Brown Coye art. At first I feared for not having enough top shelf material, but digging through my paper goods at home has proven to be quite fruitful; and I have two full posts of Mr. Coye's art that I have yet to deliver: his best art for Whispers and his astounding cover art for Arkham House. Below is the Lee Brown Coye art for the entire "Sleep No More" book, edited by Arkham House's own Mr. August Derleth (he did a few like this for other publishers, sometimes with Coye art as well). Coye did art specifically for each story and the results are superb. Each story is listed with author after its respective illustration. Enjoy!

Now this is the kind of page I like to see when I open a book!




From August Derleth's forward.


M.R. James' "Count Magnus"

Henry S. Whitehead's "Cassius"

Algernon Blackwood's "The Occupant of the Room"

Clark Ashton Smith's "the Return of the Sorcerer"

Thomas Burke's "Johnson Looked Back"

Howard Wandrei's "the Hand of the O'Mecca"

H.R. Wakefield's "He Cometh and He Passeth By"

John Collier's "Thus I Refute Beelzy"

Robert Bloch's "the Mannikin"

Wilfred Blanch Talman's "Two Black Bottles"
M.P. Shiel's "the House of Sounds"

Carl Jacobi's "the Cane"

Hazel Heald's "the Horror in the Burying Ground"

Maurice Level's "the Kennel"



Both from Robert W. Chambers' "the Yellow Sign"

Robert E. Howard's "the Black Stone"

Alfred Noyes' "Midnight Express"

Stephen Grendon's "A Gentleman from Prague"


Frank Belknap Long's " the Black Druid"



Both from H.P. Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls"

4 comments:

  1. hey mike, beautiful job with the blog i've really enjoyed these past coupla updates - ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIKE!

    Joe showed me your blog last week right before Thanksgiving and i spent a few hours at my folks' house digging through the boxes of my dad and my uncle's Mad Magazines to see if they had the Alfred E. Neuman HEX SIGN back cover issue so i could give it to you to no avail. pretty soon you are going to post a picture that i am going to tattoo on me. you might already have!



    ps. we need to have that Abel Ferrara movie hangout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may represent the style I have been trying to work for over the last five years, and barely reached.

    While I can't prove it, I feel like he was, similar to me, influenced by Zen artists and Japanese print art. Spare and minimalist, controlled and contained chaos which used empty space as well as lines to create the form.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my brother now owns the original art for the Horror in the Burying Grounds Illustration

    ReplyDelete